1/21/2011

An account of Howl (2010)



The best part about this movie was that a friend gave it to me for Christmas, further validating our 10+ year friendship. Having friends with a seasoned radar on your tastes is awesome, you should try it (but start now, because it takes 10+ years). This movie puts the "art" in box art, and is successful in getting your hopes up.


I think I liked this movie ~50% of the time. My washing machine broke while watching Howl (2010), yet I was still able to call, request, and deal with the mechanic upon his arrival, without pressing pause. If I didn't like Allen Ginsberg, Howl and Other Poems, or the 1950s, or I was just any other person in my family, I think I would've liked this movie ~15% of the time. It's not worth it to buy, but it's worth it to receive as a present (thanks again, brooooo!).

The premise is Howl (2010) is a reconstructed documentary or something, all the dialogue is known to or believed to have actually been said in real life. I noticed most of Ginsberg's dialogue came from this Paris Review interview that I saved to my desktop last year for no particular reason at the time, but now, believe, was to eventually link to within this blog post, weird. I especially liked the parts re: "hydrogen jukebox" and "eyeball kick" (P. Review transcript or film, doesn't matter). James Franco is great (shocking!), but his Lemtosh Moscots are the real scene stealers. I definitely see a Best Supporting Actor nod for those Lemtosh Moscots. I really didn't like the animation sequences. They were real literal and Across the Universe-y. We get Ginsberg was gay, but that doesn't mean the movie needs to be Reading Rainbow.

No comments:

Post a Comment