3/12/2011

4 most played bands, songs, and albums in my car in February

THE VACCINES
[NO ALBUM JUST RANDOM SINGLES DOWNLOADED OFF THE INTERNET]

Reminds me of music you're supposed to be chased to. Like you just shoplifted a PEZ dispenser and security is chasing you through supermarket aisles, through a strip mall parking lot. Definitely got a Ramones thing going on, but that's like saying the sky is blue musically. Their debut album comes out in ~two days, and I hope not a lot changes. Though, I wish that Wreckin' Bar (Ra Ra Ra) song was a tad longerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.



SURFER BLOOD
ASTRO COAST (2010)

When I first heard "Swim" last summer, I thought Eno's "Needle in the Camel's Eye" and couldn't stop listening (to both those songs). Then last month, I read Chuck Klosterman compare it to The Outfield's "Your Love", so I revisited . . . and it's totally The Outfield's "Your Love" which I love. Also, this band/album makes me feel better about that time I got caught in a wave and cracked my head on the reef (14 stitches!) I didn't turn my back on the ocean. It was just life imitating art. Or something.



SMITH WESTERNS
DYE IT BLONDE (2011)

Sort of a departure from their previous stuff which was more . . . less. Like, didn't sound "produced". Like, they were sort of still experimenting with their "songs". I like that older fucking-off-what-chord-am-I-playing-right-now-anyway? stuff, but this is nice too. Also like that one of the band members looks like James Duval's little brother and therefore has that '96 gaze (the bored and emotionally deserted look even while eating french fries) down to a science. You're destined, bro!



BIRDLAND
BIRDLAND (1991)

Had no idea these guys existed until I was clicking a bunch of buttons on this girl's blog and Birdland flew outta my speakers and perched themselves in my iPod. Wikipedia'd them and what d'you know? History lesson, totally old band! Warps me a little every time that happens.


No comments:

Post a Comment