6/22/2011

4 most played bands, songs, and albums in my car in May/June

BEN L'ONCLE SOUL
BEN L'ONCLE SOUL (2010)

Tres bien. No clue what he's saying, but will someone slow dance it up with me and let our bodies do the talking in a smoky '70s-inspired French discothèque? The real kind with the backwards accent mark thing? You can reach me at 1-800-DESPERATELY-URS.


CULTS
CULTS (2011)

I really liked the singles that were leaked online last year ("Go Outside" and "Most Wanted"), but something about all of it together on one album isn't exactly sticking with me. To be honest, I find most if it be sort of...grating. I still find it challenging how some new groups can make me dislike a reference as awesome as '60s girl groups (The Like, comes to mind), but Cults isn't nearly as polarizing. Which sucks because I want to be on the side that loves it, but wah, I'll just keep crying Millenial tears until I do...


BON IVER
BON IVER (2011)

Justin Vernon is a super serious musician, okay? And hipsters are super serious about their music, so even if you're just the caj Bon Iver fan you will be thrown in with the stereotype. #firstworldproblem So just deal with it, all right? Because that's what I've been doing. Over and over and over again as I let his new album score my life as I commute to work every morning. In the sprinkly rain. With squirrels and birds and salamanders frolicking after me. INTO A FOG OF NOTHINGNESS.


ALEXANDRE DESPLAT
THE TREE OF LIFE (2011)

10–15 people walked out of the theater I saw this in. I can understand that. In place of a traditional plot, there's a 25-minute stretch of space, evolution and nature imagery that literally means what it is showing ("You think you know, but you have no idea. This is the True Life of...Life.") I'm not by any means ~*in love*~ with this portion of the film, but I didn't find it so unbearable as to like, leave. And none of it is to seriously mean Terrence Malick thinks Tree of Life is deep. Because the movie isn't deep. The same way life isn't deep. Which makes it...deep. I did love any- and everything about those 1950s sequences and connected with those moments all the same.

Sidenote: I think it takes ~0.09% effort to describe/write this movie off as "pretentious." To me, "pretentious" insinuates being disingenuous while coming off superior in the process and while watching this movie, I got the sense that Malick is being incredibly sincere and even with us. My opinion is it takes guts to write dialogue like, "The only way to be happy is to love. Unless you love, your life will flash by." Sure, it doesn't sound smart, but as I get older I'm starting to care less and less about stuff "sounding smart" in place of stuff "sounding honest." Yes, Tree of Life is embarrassing at times (CGI dinosaurs and a symbolic mask floating in an ocean), but who isn't? Malick's just a guy who bleeds this movie and I can respect that.

The music is pretty dope too.

No comments:

Post a Comment