6/16/2011

Cool movie directors saying cool movie director things

Jean-Luc Godard


What do you rebel against in particular?
"It's not really rebelling. It's annoying not to be able to do what you want."

"I don't know what to say."

"What surprises me about my second film compared to the first is that I'm already tired. By tired, I mean there are lots of things – it's hard to explain. I feel like I love cinema less than I did a year ago, simply because I made a popular film. I hope people really hate my second film so that I'll want to make movies again. That's what I meant before about being contrary."


Do you believe there's such a thing as a fair review?
"Yes, but criticism isn't an artistic creation. It will always be inferior."

Doesn't [being a critic] run the risk of stifling the imagination?
"No. It made me love everything. It taught me not to be narrow-minded, not to ignore Renoir in favor of Billy Wilder, or something like that. I like them both, even though they are extreme opposites."

Can cinema be a pure profession?
"I think so. It consists of so much compromise that in the end it has to lead to purity."

John Cassavetes


"Yeah, I like all music. Good. Makes you feel like living. Silence is death."

"Crime and Punishment. I would like to make that a musical."

Federico Fellini


"I'll say it again, you may think I'm being facetious, but it's absolutely true. I don't believe in total creative freedom. A creator, if he is given total creative freedom, would tend, I think, to do nothing at all. The greatest danger for an artist is total freedom. To be able to wait for inspiration, the whole romantic discourse. Psychologically, the artist is an offender. He has a childish need to offend. And to be able to offend, you need parents, a headmaster, a high-priest, the police..."

Agnes Varda


"One part is conceptualizing and ordering the world, and the other is accepting the world as it is. Those two things together shape the visual arts."

David Lynch


"Abstractions exist way more in real life."

No comments:

Post a Comment